Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Dreaded Paci....expert mommies I NEED your help!!

We are enjoying our spring break!  But, we are so dreading night time EVERY night.  My daughter use to be an incredible sleeper....

The Monday after Kendal's birthday we went to her 2 year check up.  When we were almost done I brought up the dreaded paci and the doctor looked at me and said she still has that oh no it needs to be gone and I thought Oh no YOU wanna come live at our house for the next few weeks?

So, we came home I gathered all the pacis, which was about 20 and cut the tips off.  As soon as I cut the tip off she refused it.  She said it's broke and I said yes the doctor broke it (ha got YOU doctor!)  and she threw ALL of them in the garbage and walked away and my mouth fell to the floor. And once I picked it up I got the pacis out of the garbage.

Well, she reminds us often that doctor broke pacis and they had to go in the garbage.

So, my daughter who use to go to bed at 8:00 by simply laying down and going on her own is now staying up til 10:30-11:00 EVERY night and not laying down, but screaming crying til she finally falls asleep.  And it kills this mommy way more than letting her cry it out as a baby ever did.

Yes, I let her cry it out as a baby, but that was easy...she couldn't yell mommy......mommy, my nose is runny (well yeah girlfriend it's runny your screaming and crying at the top of your lungs.) and she couldn't stand in her crib...and I am at loss for what to do...it's a process to get her to sleep each night...Chris and I go in there at least 3-4 times before she goes to bed...

Last night she woke up at 4 because it was getting a little chilly in our house...my daughter that use to take her paci, lay back down, and go to sleep wasn't having it...so guess who held her til she fell asleep???

I honestly think it's because she wants that paci and she doesn't know how to comfort her self at night and it just hurts my feelings for her:(

So, it's been two weeks and I don't put her in bed anymore Chris does, but she is STILL crying and still staying up way past her bedtime.


Has anyone else taken the paci away and had these same issues?  How long did it take to get back to normal or did you?  Please tell me they learn to comfort themselves?

My new worst enemy=the paci and I hope that my next children don't love the thing like Kendall did.

I am so sad too because it's one more reminder that my baby really isn't a baby anymore:(

3 comments:

Shelli said...

I dread the day we take Kendall's paci away. I pray she starts sleeping better soon!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I know why the dr. told you to take it away... it can cause problems with her teeth etc... luckily with Adam, I came home, threw them away when he wasn't looking, and weirdly enough, he never asked me for it, or had any problems without it, Brookie never liked one.... so I never even used the ones that peeps bought for us as gifts....

Since I don't have any personal advice for this... I can only suggest what I have read about it... have you tried 'down time'? Snack (filling one), cup of milk, bath time,and a little TV time of one of her fave shows? Filling their tummy, wearing themselves out in the bath tub by playing and a show that is not over stimulating can help to 'wear them down'... becomes a routine for them and they know that when they have done these things, then it's time for lights out/night night time.....

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear that she is having a hard time dealing without her paci. I know how it is to have a comfort, because Emma has a puppy that she sleeps with and if we didn't have it we would be in big trouble! I wish I had some advice for you about the paci, but Emma never took to one. Hopes she starts sleeping better for you soon!

By the way, did you happen to be at the outlets in Indiana today, because I could have sworn I saw you at the Stride Rite store?