Friday, March 2, 2012

What A Day!

Today was a wild weather day around here!  We woke up to a storm and then spent the day awaiting horrific tornadoes and storms to hit our city...we didn't get out of school, but it was optional for parents that were able to come get their kids.  So, by the end of the day I had 4 students.   As soon as the day was over I ran to my car to race the storm home.   By the time I got to the county line the sirens were already going off in the county that I work for and some students had to be returned to schools until the sirens were off.

 I made it and actually we were extremely lucky that the storms didn't hit our area.  However, across the river about 45 minutes from us, wasn't so lucky.  Three towns were wiped out, including an elementary and a high school.

The pictures are devastating and the stories are even more so.  On FB tonight the news reporters were passing around a story of a little girl between the age of 20 months to 3 years being found in a field and flown to the hospital unidentified.  Luckily tonight she has been identified but is still in the hospital.  I don't know her conditions, but if you do please pray for her and her family and all those that suffered loses tonight including the lose of homes.  Usually Red Cross sets up in schools, but not in this small time of Henryville, Indiana.  Just praying for them and the long road they all have ahead.

We are just lucky that all we got was a small thunderstorm. 

Needless to say March came in like a lion in my neck of the woods! 
Hope you and your family are safe tonight.

5 comments:

Sonya said...

We had wild weather today too! Thankfully ours never got quite that bad. My SIL & her husband live in your area and I was concerned about them with the reports that were first coming up. Hopefully it stays away this next week! We are supposed to visit next weekend.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So sad... I will be praying for those families affected by the storms.... glad you are safe!!

Heather said...

Wow! This is all so sad for the towns/people that the tornadoes actually hit. I'm so glad you're safe and sound though.

Genn said...

Oh Christy, that is so so scary!! I got all teary eyed reading this. I am so glad you and your family are safe. I read about that little girl who was found and my heart just aches for her. Keeping Indiana in my prayers.
Ya'll stay safe!!!

Sara said...

Oh my goodness, how scary that this hit so close to home for you. We've been watching the stories on the news about all the destruction, and you just can't appreciate the size of this devastation. Prayers for all who have been affected! Glad you guys weren't hit!