Monday, December 26, 2011

A Renewed Scrapbooking Room! Simplifying My Scrap Stash

It seems that reorganizing my scrapbook/craft room has become a December tradition. You can see some of the processes and changes I made in this room here. Well, after this year I hope it is no longer a tradition and it is one that just stays!!  I am extremely happy with the before/after results of this project.   

I must say that I owe a lot of thanks to Becky Higgins for creating Project Life.  I know that ya'll have heard me mention a special little thing called Project Life.  It has changed not only how I memory keep for my family, but it has changed the way I think of things in my life.  One of the biggest changes that Project life has given me is an urge to simplify so many things in my life.

 I have been reorganizing and purging our house for over a year and we have gotten rid of so many unnecessary things in our house.  You may think how in the world did a thing called Project Life give me this urge.  Well, let me tell ya!

In my opinion, the focus of project life is just that: simple! Of course I can't explain it like Becky does, but when I think of Project Life I think of taking pictures and recording/documenting what they mean to our family today.  That's simple don't you think?  Yes, it is and of course everyones process is extremely different, and my process will be a little different next year as well.  But, no matter how I change my process each year it's still simple: take pictures and document/record our everyday simple life:)

So, all of that being said, I knew that there were lots and lots of scrappy things NOT being used in this room, and it was a stash that I no longer needed or wanted.  I knew what I needed to do and that was get rid of it and give it to someone that could use it!

I have been a scrapbooker since I was 10 years old!  That's 17 years of a stash that I have built and built and built!  I can't even begin to tell you the amount of stickers, paper, embellishments, stamps, albums, and ribbon I had in this room!  So, here is my process:
I am so embarrassed that I am even sharing this with you but hey we are friends right!?  So this is where it all began. I was getting more and more frustrated with the fact that I just couldn't cut something out quickly with my Cricut or just do a simple and quick craft on the nice table that Chris had made for me a few years ago!
So, this is what I started doing:  I made three piles, a school, donate, and Kendall pile!  Do you see those four plastic folders?  They were completely full, almost couldn't be shut full, of stickers!  I got rid of all, but a few stickers.  That little stack was as big as Kendall's stack got and it was just a few stickers that I knew she would enjoy playing with:)
I am a bit obsessed with containers! I think that's OK, but they all didn't have a purpose in here.  So, a few went back with our Christmas decorations so I will remember to use them next year, a few were donated, and a few will go to school!  That simple:)
And the ribbon! Oh the ribbon!  When I found out I was having a girl I went a little crazy on ribbon! I love making Kendall hair bows, but the problem is she only needs one or two bows of the same ribbon and then I would have lots left. It started to just become a mess. I got the ribbon organizer for Christmas last year and it wasn't enough to hold all of my ribbons. I decided that it needed to be enough, so I used the red bucket to place all the ribbon that was no longer of use for me.  I will take it to school for the girls that have baby girls and can use it to make them hair bows!
And the end!  AHHH I love it.  I just walk in here to see how nice it is!  I am thrilled with how easy it was for me to simplify this room!  And I know it's boring and there is nothing interesting about this space in my house, but I love it and it makes me happy and it makes my husband happy and when we are happy Kendall is happy!

And do you see my new Project Life binder and core kit up there!  Yes, it has it's own spot and in case you were wondering I went with Clementine this year and I can't wait to begin using it for the New Year!  And I can't wait to share with you all of my new ideas for my Project Life 2012
And here is all of the donations I will be making.  There is a container under that big bag and it might not look like it, but there are lots and lots of goodies here to give away:)

My kids at school will have fun with all of their new goodies for the writing center!

My sister in law works in the NICU at Kosair so I gave her all the stickers and scrappy things to take to the NICU to be used when they are decorating for different seasons!  I hope they can put them to good use!

And for me?  I think I have to say my word for 2012 will be SIMPLIFY what do you think? You like it?

Linking up at Metamorphosis Monday

4 comments:

Redo 101 said...

I think it's an amazing transformation! It looks like a lot of hard work but it paid off. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mary

Genn said...

I LOVE some good organization!!
That looks SO nice.
I want to come over and get crafty in there. :)

Was it you who had asked me about my header collages on my blog? I am sorry if it was and I forgot to answer your email!!!!
If it was your Q: I make my headers using picasa which is free and I learned how to do it by the tutorial on Clover Lane's blog. :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Good for you girl!! This looks amazing!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Maggi said...

Wow, you did an awesome job! My craft room is horrid right now, I definitely need to get in there and weed things out!