Saturday, December 31, 2011

My 2011 New Years Resolutions: A look Back

I have never been one to be huge on resolutions. but I like to think of them more as goals.  As I was getting ready for the new year I got to thinking about a post that I did last year on my goals for the New Year. I wanted to take a minute to reflect on these goals to see where I have come from then to now!  So here goes.  The Red is the goal from this year, just so you know where I am going with this post:)

This post is probably totally boring to you, but since this is my blog and my diary I want to do this for myself.  So if you make it through it leave me a comment and tell me what you think and if not Happy New Year and I hope you feel good about your 2011 goals if you made them:)

These goals are written in this post!

First I would like to get Kendall back on a normal sleeping schedule. She has (KNOCK ON WOOD) slept for at least 12 hours the past three nights, which has been amazing!! I would like to get her in bed by 8:30 during the week so that I can get some things done at night while she is asleep which leads me to my next goal,
I have to say that this goal was quite easy to achieve.  Kendall is such an easy sleeper. I literally lay her down in her bed for nap or at night and she goes right to sleep without any problems!  Now don't get me wrong we have our occasional bad nights, but our bad nights don't compare to some of the stories that I have heard.  I have to say that when Kendall was young I spent a few days getting her to go to sleep on her own.  Those few days were the best thing for us.  We don't fight sleep time and I think that is so important because I know how stressful bedtime is for some moms. I sure do hope that we have this same luck with our next child, because I sure do love my sleep!

Reorganize and restructure myself. Having a baby takes every organizational skill you have and throws it in the garbage! Or at least it did for me:) I need to start making my lists at home and work again, keeping bills and other important papers organized in our office at home, keep myself organized at work which has been extremely hard this year, and just organize a few other things in my life!! This goal could be a post in itself because there are so many strings attached to it that I could go on and on about places and things I want organized, so I will just tell you as it happens!
This is a hard goal to say I have completely accomplished. I have to say that where I am now doesn't even compare to where I was this time last year. I think one of the hardest parts of being a mom is the first year.  They need you the entire time they are awake.  Don't get me wrong Kendall still needs me 99% of the time that she is awake, but now she plays on her own at times, watches Mickey, or even helps me do laundry and other small tasks around the house.  Sure the tasks take me a little longer, but we get them done and that's what matters.

As silly as this may sound but the remodel of my kitchen was a huge time saver for me. You have no idea how long I spent in the kitchen cleaning and doing dishes especially since we had bottles and other baby items as well.  (If you don't have a dishwasher you totally know where I am coming from!)  Now I load the dish washer  start it and walk away.  Unloading the dish washer literally takes me five minutes!  This freed up time for me to get other parts of our house cleaned!

Another thing that has made this goal easier to achieve is Kendall now eats whatever we eat.  When I was having to make sure bottles were cleaned, nurse her, feed her baby food, or schedule things around her feeding times it was hard.  I am not going to sugar coat it, nursing was one of the hardest things I have ever made the decision to do.

 Not only did it affect what I did at home, but it also affected my job. I spent my break in a closet pumping and another time during the day had to be spent pumping. Therefore, I was always behind at work.

My first full year of teaching and being a mom was extremely difficult and I wanted to throw the towel in multiple times. At the end of last school year I started purging a lot in my classroom.  This was so helpful at the beginning of this school year. I had a place for everything and everything was in it's place.

I also made my students responsible for making sure things were in their place and no longer leave it to myself to get those things done at the end of the school day.

Another thing that has changed for me about school is I ask Chris to get Kendall from the sitters when I need to get something done at work.  Last year I tried to do this myself, and it wasn't always the best idea because then I was behind the next day.

 I could go on and on about things that have changed at work for me this year, but I have to say that I am in such a better place this year in my classroom than last year and that makes all the difference in my life!

So have I improved things in my life to help me get reorganized and structured? Yes! Could I do more in 2012 to make it better? Absolutely:)

Lastly, I would like to get back to my pre baby weight before Kendall turns one! I think I can do it. I have three months to lose 15 pounds and there are NO excuses now. I am starting weight watchers tomorrow and I am going to start working out as often as possible! I am holding myself to it because I am tired of complaining to people about the way that I look and feel when I am the one that can control it! We will see how it goes:) I will keep you updated! I am going to try to take monthly pictures and maybe when I start seeing the difference I will post them on here haha!
I am very proud to say that I have totally achieved this goal! I did it, maybe not by Kendall's birthday, but before 2012 and so far I have kept most of it off:)  The key for getting this weight off of me was exercising!  Unfortunately I haven't been doing that as well as I was this summer, but don't worry I see that it is a 2012 goal of mine and I will achieve that!  I loved how it made me feel after I was working out and I love that I no longer dread getting in my closet to find something to wear and I refuse to let that change in 2012!!

I am very proud of where I have come since last year and I am so excited for a new year and all the great things that will happen to my family in this year!

No comments: