Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Home Made Advent Calendar

I am so EXCITED about the Holidays that are creeping upon us!! I can't tell you how stinkin' excited I am!  I think what makes me so excited is how excited Chris is about Christmas as well. We already have a closet full of Christmas presents.  Real life my friends:)

I have already started preparing and completing many projects that I plan to finish and create for the Holiday season. And I am so excited that we have plans to get our Holiday decorations out this weekend.

I just finished this advent calendar for Kendall as well and I love how it turned out:)
I bought the kit at Hobby Lobby and painted the boxes and added all the scrappy goodies to it!  I think the kit cost me less than ten dollars after using a forty percent off coupon!  Gotta love those coupons. 
The hardest part was painting it. I think it took me about a week to paint, but I got it done and that's what matters:)  It really wouldn't have taken that long, but I just did a few boxes a night after Kendall went to bed and didn't want to rush and mess anything up:)
I love these two boxes.  I think they turned out really cute especially Christmas Day!  I am not big on red and green Christmas things, but I know that is the theme of the season.  I decided to go with pink, grey, red, and green!  I just love the pink Christmas decorations and I already bought a few for Kendall's room. Of course we will have traditional colors throughout our house, but I just love the thought of my favorite color with my favorite Holiday!
This little snowman was too cute to not use.  He is just a simple sticker and I really wish I could give the company that made him credit, but all I had was the sticker sheet and it had no information on it.
I covered the entire box with decoupage once I was finished. However, I didn't decoupage the inside of the actually calendar itself. I was afraid it would all stick together and didn't want to take those chances.  So, I just did the boxes.

To create the numbers I used my cricut and the following carts: Pooh font, Alphalious (totally mispelled that!), and seasame street font.
And here is my confession:  I totally bought this kit last Christmas and just got the chance to make it. Better late than ever huh?  There were a lot of things I skipped out on last Christmas because I just didn't have the time to do it. Taking care of a baby is a full time job in itself and once Kendall went to bed at night I was done for the night as well.  This year I have a lot more energy and am able to do more when Kendall is awake since she doesn't require me to do as much for her.  I think she will even get to help with a few things this year as well.
I think Kendall will have a lot of fun getting a little special treat each day when we get home.  I was wondering if you do advent calendars and what you put inside them?  I was thinking a little bag of her favorite candies each day. I was trying to think of some small gifts I could put in there as well, but I really can't think of anything.  Of course my mom did get her a few of these little Disney finger puppets that I could probably put in there that she would enjoy getting each day!

This is the back of the calendar. I was thinking about putting her initials on it, but thought against it. She may want to use it for her little girl one day when she gets older.  Do I really want to think about that NO not really!!  Chris said I wouldn't be able to use it for our other kids if I put her initials on it and I said he was crazy anyways because all of them will get their OWN calendar DUH:)

Here are a few other Holiday crafts and goodies that I plan on doing,
1.  Erin at Sunny Side Up has the cutest Holiday ideas and last year she made M&M pretzel hugs and put them in the cutest tree containers.  Well, I was so lucky to snag those containers at 90% off at Target last year after the Holidays.  I can't wait to make those hugs and deliver them to our neighbors, family, and friendsQ!
2.  December Daily. My album 2009 Two years ago I created my first December Daily.  Of course I didn't get to do this last year either. I actually started it and had every single intention in completing it. Yeah that didn't happen so I am using what I started last year for my album this year and I am happy with how it is turning out!  Can't wait to share it with ya'll
3.  My best friend Jen and I are planning on having a cookie and baking day.  We are going to make all kinds of yummy goodies to give out to people, because we just want to make them, but not actually eat them haha!
4.  Enjoy the season with family and friends.  This is definitly the most important of them all.  It is so easy to get all caught up in all the things that need to be done.  But in all reality nothing NEEDS to be done and the most important thing I NEED to do is spend the special times with my family and enjoy it.
What are your Holiday Plans?  Anything special you plan to make or do?

Linking up to:

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sooooooooooooo cute cute cute! I loveeeeeee it! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Amanda said...

This is so cute, and you did a great job!!!

Crystal said...

Very cute! I love pink Christmas decorations for my little girls room too!

Lowri said...

This is a really neat calendar! Great job - Thanks so much for sharing!
Visiting from Tip Junkie
Lowri
http://papervinenz.blogspot.com/