Monday, May 9, 2011

Kentucky Derby 2011

Saturday May 7 we went to our very first Kentucky Derby! It was Chris' 27th birthday so what a great way to celebrate:) We got up bright and early to make sure we were there for the very first race of the day (Note to self NEVER do this again!) It was so so so cold that morning and it stayed cool until right before the Derby actually ran!When you get there bright and early there is NO one else there except for a few others, but don't worry they are still out selling Mint Julips:)The drink of choice in our group was the Lily, which is really for the Kentucky Oaks but why not? I have to admit that I didn't try either drink, but they all seemed to like the Lily a lot and I take their word for it!There are many sights to see during this wonderful day including this man in this lovely suit! Our group just before the Derby started. There were people from all of the world at Derby! It is so cool to think that something this popular happens here in my hometown! The people to the left of us were from Australia! They had their own family with them and they actually own horses in Australia. The most incredible part of the day was singing My Old Kentucky Home with over 100,000 plus people! Amazing and gives me the chills just thinking about it! So proud to be a part of this state!The top right is Millionaires row! We didn't see anyone famous of course we were just in the grandstands, but we did see Nick Lachey, Martha Stewart, Travis Tritt, Erin Andrews and many others on the TV screen as they walked the red carpet:)
And their off! We had the perfect seats because we go to see the start of the race and them cross the finish line!! It was so neat to actually be there. I have watched the Derby on TV every year since I can remember so to truly experience it was something I will never forget. I was in awe of all the people there and the feeling of being there!And the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner: Animal Kingdom making his way to get his bed of roses:) I asked Chris to take this picture as we left because I couldn't believe the amount of taxis cabs. There were at least 50 of them spread out over at least a mile! It was amazing to me and the amount of people trying to leave at one time could have sent me over the edge a little bit! Chris told me at least once to calm myself down before I had a panic attack!

I don't do crowds and this was a big crowd!

It was a long day, but it was a GREAT day. I enjoyed the Derby and I think Chris enjoyed his 27th birthday!

5 comments:

deb famularo said...

Lucky girl! That is so cool you guys got to go! And you ALL looked fabulous!!!! Love the hats! (Dang that red drink looked yummy!)
I'm so glad you had fun!!!! Thanks for sharing the awesome photographs! It's as close as I'll ever get, I'm sure!!!! xoxo

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Looks like you had sooooooooooooooo much fun!! You look AMAZING! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Brooke said...

Looks like alot of fun! Great pictures!

Risley said...

SO MUCH FUN!!
that is on our bucket list!!

Sammye Jo said...

You look SOOOOO great!!! Friday's weather was much better than Saturday's! I stood in teh paddock to sun the shoulders :)