Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Being Intentional

I recently went to a conference for work which really had nothing to do with anything I am about to blog about:) But, I found a meaning in the conference beyond my classroom. So I will give a little background of that conference so you will know where I am coming from!

The conference was on a new or new to us technique of teaching reading, writing and math. The model uses a 90 minute block for each of these content areas. Basically you use thier "thinking strategies" (which I rather not share too much about just for copyright reasons! But you can go here to learn more about it and I know everyone is DYING to know all about it right?) Can you tell I am so long winded when I try to tell a story or get a point across? Anyways where was I going with this?

Oh yes I remember, the word intentional was used everyday at least 50 times in the four days that I was at this conference. I got to thinking about this word and how it relates to my life as a whole and if I learned nothing about my classroom (which I DID!) I learned one thing about my life....


I need to be more INTENTIONAL.

Yes being more intentional is what I learned.

I make list
I make list for my list
I write to dos in my planner
I bookmark crafts I want to create.
tab pages in magazines of activities I want to try.

And I say I will do those as soon as summer comes or I will do the things on that list after this happens. Whatever this is becomes that until eventually the list is so old it goes in the dump.

SO. My new goal in my life is to be intentional with EVERYTHING I do. If I want something done, then be intentional about it and get it done. I will no longer wait for summer or this or that to get it done if it's that important to me then I will be intent in getting it done. (Wonder how many times I can use the word intentional in this post...by the way it is my NEW favorite word can you believe it!?)


Tonight I have started working on a craft that I would like to share with you sometime this week and I am super excited about.

I am making a spreadsheet of the areas in my house I want reorganized! And how I am going to go about organizing each of those areas.

Today at school I started cleaning out one shelf at a time of this big huge bookshelf of materials I have gathered in the last five years. I will continue to do this around my entire classroom until I have made it back to this bookshelf! (I organized the top shelf by subject area and programs as well as grade leve since I teach both Kindergarten and first grade! You could say right now my biggest intention is to purge the unneccasary things in my life mainly those in our house and my classroom:)

No longer will you hear me say "I had every intention to get that done!" NOPE not this girl because when I say the word intentional or intent you better believe it will come out like this "I had every intent to get that done AND I DID!!Of course I couldn't leave without a cute little pic of this sweet butt helping grandma with dishes!

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME post girl! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee it!! I love love love love love love that ADORABLE photo too! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Sonya said...

I started doing that in my classroom and then I had to stop because of testing this week. I also have a similar plan for my home this summer. I usually do really deep cleaning in the summer and I have to organize again because things just don't get done like they should during the school year! Good luck!

deb famularo said...

okay, you are like the most organized person I know! That is amazing....wanna come to my house and help me!!! (Love you Kendall!!) xOxO