Sunday, October 24, 2010

Teaching TIp: Organizing Letter Tiles

I would say that Organization is a KEY ingredient to being a teacher. Am an expert at it? Absoloutely not, but I sure work my bottom off to keep my classroom as organized as possible. And I thought it might be fun to share with you some of my organization ideas in my classroom.
One reason organization is so important in my classroom is I am a Kindergarten AND first grade teacher. I feel that I need to know where everything is in my room so that I can access it QUICKLY and EASILY. If I am teaching a lesson and have to constantly stop to find something I lose my little ones and then my lesson turns into a nightmare (I do KNOW this because I have experienced it before!) Organization is also a time and classroom management tool for me.
The first tip I would like to share with you is how I organize my letter tiles. Because I teach early childhood we use letter tiles in our classroom daily. I have always fought with how to organize my tiles.
I started out with plastic baggies, which just became a nightmare for many reasons.
-the are slippery and are hard to store together.
-after being opened so many times they were falling apart
- the baggies ripped easily
So, when Kendall started eating baby food we had a lot of these around the house.

I couldn't stomach throwing these containers away because I knew I would find something to use them for and what better than my letter tiles.


SO, I got to work.

I emptied all the plastic baggies.

Alphabetized the letters.

Put them in a container in small baggies that only I would be opening.
Then put ONLY the letters we are using for each week in the baby food containers.

This works out great becuase I am no longer spending extra time telling the kids what letters to get out, we don't have a big baggie mess, and they fit into the containers nicely!

As simple as it may sound it has made an amazing difference in my classroom!

Are you a mommy of a little baby eating out of these containers? Have you thought of something different the containers could be used for?

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwww...what a great idea! LOVE IT! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

laterg8r said...

i've used baby food containers to store buttons, hair ties, brads, all sorts of things - great idea for your classroom :D