Friday, September 11, 2009

Never will it be forgotten

I am sure many of you will never forget where you were on 9/11. I remember quite well. I was in clothing/sewing class my senior year of high school. We had just heard the news and turned the TV on unfortunately in time to see the second plane crash. It was a devastating time. Although I was not directly affected by what happened in New York City or our Nations Capital it is something I will never forget and will forever be instilled in my mind. I will forever be more cautious when I go ANYWHERE.
At work today I was thinking about my students and how they were not yet born when 9/11 occured. Most of them were born in 2003. They have no idea what 9/11 is or what happened. Some of them have more exposure than others, however for the most part they will be a generation that wasn't around for this day. HOWEVER, many of them have cousins, older siblings, distant relatives and even one or two with fathers that have served our country. This is something they do relate to and even as 5/6 year olds are VERY proud of.

They have been taught through our generation and all the generations surrounding them the importance and pride we have for our country and our freedom and why we live in America today. I will do my best to provide them with the education and protection they deserve while they are in my care. I protect them as if they are my own and I will do that with every class I have throughout my teaching career.

Today and everyday is a day to remember those that lost their lives too soon on that day in 2001. Today and everyday is a day to be proud of our country and support our troops for doing what they do for us.

Where were you on that September day? Is it forever in your mind? I am sure it is just like mine.

Take care and have a great weekend!

2 comments:

sPaRkLiNg sCrApBoOkS said...

You are the kind of teacher I wish for for my children!
I'll never forget that day- we were home and Kyle was only 3. I went screaming in the bedroom to wake up my husband (it was his day off)and we sat in front of the tv in tears. I can't remember what I had for dinner the night before half the time, but the images from that day are embedded in my mind forever. love deb

Maggi said...

It was a horrific, surreal day. Not something you can ever forget.