Monday, August 3, 2009

Mommy To Be Monday: What To Expect When Your Expecting!

Since I am now going to be a Mommy I thought I would use Julia's other awesome blog idea and do my first Mommy to be Monday Post as a review about my favorite book and a great website thus far in my pregnancy. I am sure EVERYONE has heard of the book What to Expect When Your Expecting by: Heidi Murkoff. But, it is just such a great book that I HAVE to blog about it. I had no idea how much this book would be used during my pregnancy and honestly I thought I would look at it a few times and then put it away. I seriously use the index on this book more than ANY other book I have ever read that didn't have to do with a class I was taking;) If I feel something funny, eat something different, get bit by a bug, want to know if I can drink sweet tea, wanna know what that funny bump is or just want to find something I haven't learned yet, I go straight to this book. It has seriously kept me from calling my doctor at least 20 times. Yes, I am that crazy person that wants to know EVERYTHING and if ANYTHING crazy happens I am on the phone immediately trying to figure out what it is. But, thanks to this book I no longer have to do such things.

I will definitly get What to Expect in the first year and toddler years after I have my babies. Do any of you have these two books? Do you like them and have you found them useful?
The What to Expect Website is just as awesome. There are message boards where you can talk to other women that are expecting in the same month as you. Not only that, but you can look up a ton of things on the site as well. Also, you put your expected due date and each week they send you newsletters about what to expect during this week of your pregnancy. I probably get at least one email from them a day. However, they are very helpful emails and the way they are set up is very appealing to the eye.

What to Expect knows that sometimes there is also a man involved throughout the pregnancy as well and they have thoughtfully added a few words of advice and even comfort for the daddy to be. I thought that was great because I haven't found many books in which this is the case.

Definitly go check out What To Expect It is an awesome tool if you are pregnant, getting pregnant, or even just thinking about it.

There is also a book out now that is called What to Expect Before your Expecting. Didn't know this until the other day, but those of you trying to conceive should for sure check it out! I am sure it is just as useful as What To Expect When You're Expecting has been for me!
Hope you enjoyed my first Mommy to be Monday:)
Please check out my other blog Nine Months and Counting. It's a picture a day of my entire pregnancy!!!

6 comments:

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

I don't think I ever bought any parent to be books. I did used to buy magazines when I was pregnant with the first few children. I think when I got to my fifth child it wore off and never bothered with the sixth, seventh and eighth. I figured if I didn't have a clue what was going on by then I never would!

There's nothing like the first pregnancy though. Glad you're enjoying it!

Tania (via SITS)

laterg8r said...

i was scared by these books - kept thinking of all the things that could go wrong!

a great preggo book to read week by week is called "A bun in the oven" by Kaz Cooke - it is LOL funny! i've read it three times now and it's still funny :)

Julia said...

it's a great book! it has tons of info. sometimes too much. but still lots of good to know info.

I have the "First years" book, but not the toddler book (even though my daughter is 2). I read most of the "first years" book, but not all.

and i didn't read "what to expect when you're expecting" again when i was preggo the second time. while it IS still exciting the second time, you kinda already know what's going on in your body. my next pregnancy (whenever that is) i might read another book. it IS fun to know what's going on and keep in touch with the little one as he grows.

Lisa T. Howard said...

Hey Cutie! Well, I have to start by saying that I am an old woman and will most certainly NOT be needing these books! At least I better not. Should I find myself in need, then call the men in the white coats and tell them to bring the straight jacket with them because I will need it! LOL!

I'm so glad you have found such a useful resource. It's always nice to know you can get answers to all the questions pregnancy raised! Loved your post today! The title is so cute! :)

Christina said...

Congrats on expecting your first baby!! That is such an exciting time!
I also loved the What to Expect When Expecting Book! I read pretty much the whole book during my first pregnancy and I still referred to it a bit during my second pregnancy. I also found the What To Expect The First Year book really good, but I never ended up getting the Toddler book.

West Texas Wife said...

I loved these books and I have some others I can send you if you want them!